Gym junkies and swim supporters are to celebrate the return of the exercise activities they love, following the reopening of indoor leisure in England, under the Government’s Lockdown Roadmap.
Better – the UK’s largest public leisure provider - will reopen over 250 leisure centres on Monday 12 April, following its successful resumption of outdoor activities in lidos, reservoirs, golf courses, courts and pitches on 29 March.
Staff are preparing for what is expected to be a very busy day as pent up demand for exercise sees customers return in their thousands following three months of Covid-enforced lockdown to indoor swimming pools and gyms - and outdoor exercise classes.
Better’s National Head of Products, Marco Coppola said:
“We are happy to play our important part in the reopening of UK society and the ongoing recovery in the nation’s health.
“Covid is particularly dangerous for those who are physically unfit so it’s incumbent on us all to maintain our health.
“As a community provider, Better is proud to be at the heart of the nation’s physical, social and mental health.”
12 April 2021 will see gyms and indoor swimming pools reopen for the first time since lockdown #3 was introduced on 4 January 2021.
Better Leisure, is the UK’s largest operator of municipal leisure facilities including gyms, indoor swimming pools and leisure centres working in partnership with over 40 councils in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
All Better facilities will be operated in a Covid-Secure manner. This means:
- Pre-booking only, no-one can just walk in without a booking. This is to control numbers
- A one-way system throughout
- Reduced capacity in the gym area to allow for social distancing (50% capacity)
- 1hr training slots only
- Gym goers asked to wipe down equipment after use with sanitizer provided
- Double width swimming lanes to avoid swimmers touching in the water
- No backstroke, so swimmers don’t accidently bump into each other
- Swimmers asked to arrive ‘beach ready’ so they reduce time spent in changing rooms
- Enhanced cleaning throughout the buildings
Check availability of your local centre: https://www.better.org.uk/centre-locator